How To Select a Mattress Size
Choosing the right mattress size plays a significant part in your night’s sleep and waking up
feeling rested and refreshed. Buying a small mattress is one of the most common mistakes made by first time
buyers. For optimal comfort, it is wiser to purchase a larger mattress, if you have a
Factors which affect mattress size choices are
- Number of people using the mattress.
- Your height and weight.
- Size of the bedroom .
- The supporting furnishing used around the mattress.
Important Guidelines To Mattress Dimensions
- The length of the mattress should be a minimum of 6 inches longer than height of the tallest
person sleeping on the bed .
- To test if the width of the mattress is right for you , apply the following test : Lie
down comfortably making use of a pillow and put your elbows behind your head . Your elbows should not
touch your partner or go beyond the edge of the mattress.
- A minimum of 22 inches clearance at the sides of the mattress is essential to allow for
comfortable movement without bumping into furniture.
- If you have kids (especially teens !) consider their increase in height in a few years from now .
Important Guidelines To Mattress Thickness
The thickness of mattresses available in the market vary greatly. Salesmen in order to generate higher
commissions often mislead consumers by claiming that thicker mattresses are better for the spinal cord. However at
the present moment there is no scientific study to prove this claim.
- Try keeping your mattress thickness between reasonable limits. Though a thin mattress might be
cheap , after prolonged use they tend to get hard and uncomfortable. On the other hand too thick a mattress
though comfortable might get cumbersome to move around.